Posts Tagged “upgrading”
Aug 19, 2008
The other day I was talking about upgrading Typo. The update itself went well, true, and the site was up and running without too much downtime, but then I started using it again… and I have noticed two things so far (both about writing posts) that I really dislike:
First, the good old editor is not there anymore: the Typo editor used to be really good, because on the left hand side you had a very reliable and easy to use textarea with Wiki syntax (you can choose which exact syntax you want), and on the right hand side you had a “live preview” of your post, automatically updated with Ajax, that showed you how the post was going to look like. Well, that’s gone. Now there are two options: some retarded WYSIWYG box, that I tried to use and failed, and some good old textarea… without the damn live preview. That sucks big time, because there is no other preview (that I have seen: please enlighten me if there is indeed one), so I just blindly write things in a Wiki format, and hope that it’s going to look OK when I press “Publish”.
Second, I was playing with the Wiki format for the articles, and I changed it to “Markdown” (I always mix “Textile” with “Markdown”, and never remember which is which; the one I prefer is Textile). After I hit “Save”, not only the next article was parsed in Markdown format by default, but every single blog post. It’s like, you select the parser the system is going to use to interpret your whole blog. How retarded is that? Once you have written posts, it doesn’t make sense to change their syntax (unless you do it manually editing the post itself). Clearly the format is a property of each blog post, not of the whole blog installation.
Not everything is bad though: it seems that now you finally have a “Draft” concept, so I can start writing a blog post and just save as a draft, instead of unticking the “Online” property and saving as a normal post. Also, the drafts are saved automatically, so I don’t have to remember to hit “Save” from time to time just in case the browser crashes or I hit something stupid and erase the contents of the post. Yay for that.
Mar 2, 2008
I’m kind of back to Haberdasher work, so I’m playing again with Rails. However, I’m a very late adopter for many things, and that included Rails because I wasn’t that interested in investing time in learning all the new stuff and porting my applications to the new version.
But the universe had its own ideas about Rails 2.0 and me, so I had some retarded compatibility problems with Haberdasher and the up-to-date
rakeutility version in Debian. The problems were related to some Rails plugins I was using, and they made me have a look at upgrading to Rails 2.0 from Rails 1.2. It turned out to be really easy to do, the hardest by far was replacing the plugins that gave problems with application code or other plugins (yes, I know that if I was going to get rid of them anyway, I might as well have stayed in Rails 1.2, I just thought it was a good idea to upgrade if I was going to resume Haberdasher development).
To be honest I haven’t really learned new stuff yet. I’m just using the same things I was using, only now powered by Rails 2.0. A couple of improvements/clean ups in syntax, deprecated code removal and similar, but nothing big yet.
The other news is that now that I have a working Haberdasher again, I’m making some changes I had in mind since months ago, namely adding some user preferences “framework”, and adding the ability to assign a copyright notice to the patches (with a configurable default notice per user, hence the user preferences). I haven’t published this work yet, but I plan to do it in a couple of days, after updating the demo installation and checking that everything’s alright.