Posts Tagged “servers”
Mar 10, 2012
A couple of weeks ago I decided to move my wiki (see Wiki-Toki on GitHub) and my package repository (see Arepa on CPAN) over to a new machine. The idea was to move it to some infrastructure I “controlled” myself and was paying for (mainly inspired by the blog post “A Set of Tenets I Have Set Myself”). As I was curious about Cherokee and this was an excellent opportunity to learn it, I decided to use it as the web server.
I have to say I was pretty impressed by how easy it was to set it up. Although I did have several small problems, most of them were less related to Cherokee itself, and more related to me not being very familiar with Node application configuration outside of Joyent’s environment, or FastCGI configuration. In particular, the web-based configuration is brilliant: you don’t have to open or know the format of any configuration files, but instead configure everything from a pretty powerful UI (which in the end writes a text configuration file of course, so you can always automate or generate the configuration if you need to). I even knew this already, but seeing it in action was pretty impressive. To avoid security problems with people accessing that configuration interface, there’s this little tool called cherokee-admin that starts another web server with the configuration interface (tip: pass the -b option without parameters if you want to connect to it from a different machine, which is the case unless you’re installing Cherokee in your own PC). On start it generates a random admin password, which you use to login.
Static content serving, CGI, FastCGI, specifying certain error codes for certain paths, and reverse proxying was all very easy to set up. There was only a small problem I bumped into: tweaking URLs in reverse-proxied responses. In my situation, I was doing reverse proxying from port 443 to port 3000. As the final application didn’t know about the proxy, it generated URL redirections to “http://…:3000/” instead of “https://…/”, so part of the process of proxying was fixing those URLs. Cherokee, of course, supports this out of the box, in a section called “URL Rewriting”. Each entry in that section takes a regular expression and a substitution string. My first attempt (“http://example.com:3000/” -> “https://example.com/”) didn’t work: all URL redirections were changed to “https://example.com/”, disregarding the rest of the URL. After some time trying different things, I decided to try with “http://example.com:3000/(.*)” and “https://example.com/$1”. As it turns out, that worked like a charm! The documentation does mention that it uses Perl-compatible regular expressions, but I thought the HTTP reverse proxy documentation could have been more explicit in this regard.
But apart from that detail, everything was very smooth and I’m very, very happy with it :-)