Posts Tagged “nim”
Oct 11, 2015
I’ve been writing several pet projects in the last months. I wrote them mostly to learn new languages, techniques or libraries, and I’m unsure as to how much I’ll use them at all. Not that it matters. All three are related to role-playing games. In case you’re interested:
Character suite: a program to help create characters for RPGs. It’s designed to make it easy to add new rule systems for new games. It’s written in Clojure and ClojureScript, and with it I learned devcards, macros, Clojure’s core.async, figwheel and PDF generation with PDFBox. The code is messy in parts, but I learned a lot and I have a usable result, which is the important thing.
Nim-DR: a tiny command-line program to roll dice, including adding aliases for rolls (eg. alias “pc” for “1d100”). It doesn’t even support mixing kinds of dice, or adding numbers to the result. I mostly wrote it to get a taste of Nim. While I’m not a big fan of statically typed languages, the type inference really helped, and I liked what I saw. I may try more experiments in Nim in the future.
letdidn’t allow re-assignment of variables.
While writing the last one I even learned about the
pointer-eventsCSS property, which allows you to mark an element as not receiving events like
mousemove, etc. Very useful!